Gardening Tips – Preparing for September
We thought we would set out a monthly plan of tips for your garden so you can be prepared on a monthly basis and continue to enjoy your Eden.
- Believe it or not now is the time to stop pruning and fertilizing
- Outdoors in – take in all the summer houseplants while the temperature is still normal which will allow an adjusting period ahead of winter.
- You know the kindegarden song! “Clean up, clean up everybody clean up” – clear the flower beds and cut back anything that has finished blooming or beginning to whither
- Great tip is to take pictures of your love’s and dislikes so you have a record for planting the following season
- If you have a compost heap – give it a good mix so that the nutrients can roam
- We have a full veg garden here and are only now digging the potatoes, pulling the carrots, onions are up and late salad crop is nearing maturity
- Your outdoor tomatoes should be ripe or starting to colour, keep an eye and pick as required – don’t leave too long! Don’t forget green tomatoes can be used for chutney – so nothing goes to waste. BBC Good Food recipe
- Pick herbs for freezing or drying – tip to come
- Clean up fallen fruit – just made a great chicken and plum dish from our plum harvest – I’ll share it again
Trees & Shrubs
- Plant any remaining trees and shrubs. Keep well watered, if there isn’t sufficient rain, (doubtful that will be the problem!).