Let there be light! Tips for lighting up your garden…
Nowadays the outside is coming in! Garden’s are becoming the next room of the home. Used as much as the TV or playroom, it is a space that has been crying out for attention and deserving of the investment. The reasons to upgrade your garden are plentiful, not alone for the benefits to home life nor just for the aesthetics but also for the additional value it adds to the home.
Part of a garden design or redesign is lighting, if it is something that you want to include in your garden it then becomes as important as the lighting in the home. Here are our tips on how best to light the outside space.
- Laterns or hurricane lamps are fantastic and a low cost way to add that romantic and beautiful feel to your garden
- Spot focus on individual plants from the bottom up – its eye catching and spreads light across the plant and surrounds which is very impactful
- Be safe – make sure your lights are certified for outdoor use!
- Avoid switch use lights or if you can’t avoid ensure the electrical link is indoors or inside your outdoor shed
- From a aesthetic and security viewpoint putting lights at the top of gate posts or key points around the perimeter of your garden not only makes the home look lovely but deters unwelcome visitors too!
- Put a spotlight in a tree to create pools of light and make sure you only point the light downward
- Ensure the colour temperature of all your LED light sources match. Nothing worse than an array of colours throughout a garden, I like off white – but some love the white bright look while others prefer greens or blues
- It’s always a good idea to contain electrical cables within tubing. It protects accidental damage when digging or from pests like foxes (who love to chew cables)
- Make sure your electrician seals all of the electrical connections so that they are totally waterproof
- If you’re putting anything in the ground make sure there is ample drainage so that water doesn’t build up
- When lighting steps, we suggest lighting every other step which means you can see each step but the effect is softer
We’ve done a number of homes and the results have always been dramatic from a before and after viewpoint. If you would like a consultation call us 045 845127